#AceFinanceNews – QATAR – June 08 – A British newspaper has published fresh corruption allegations against Qatar over its controversial FIFA World Cup bid.
The Sunday Times newspaper has published new reports accusing disgraced former top football official, Mohammed Bin Hammam, of helping to arrange talks on a gas deal between Thailand and Qatar in exchange for supporting Doha’s World Cup bid.
Another report said Bin Hammam was invited to meet with Russia’s then Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to discuss bilateral relations in sport just over a month before Russia and Qatar won the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids, respectively.
FIFA is completing a probe into the allegations.
Qatar is coming under mounting pressure over its controversial World Cup bid amid fresh corruption allegations.
Last week, The Sunday Times alleged in a report that Qatar had paid millions of dollars to soccer officials to buy their support for its bid. The newspaper said a total of $5 million was paid by Bin Hammam, the then FIFA executive member for Qatar
Citing millions of emails and other documents, the British daily said Bin Hammam paid up to $200,000 into accounts controlled by the presidents of African football associations. It said documents show Bin Hammam, who was also the former president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), paid out the cash to get backing for Qatar’s bid.
The Qatari official is also accused of paying $1.6 million to Jack Warner, the former vice-president of FIFA.
The latest allegations come months after another British newspaper, Daily Telegraph, said Bin Hammam had paid money to Warner through one of his companies.
Last month, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the International Federation of Football Associations made a mistake by choosing Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup in the summer.
Press TV – Sunday Times – Daily Telegraph – FIFA